Victoria County History entry for Lowick
A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 8. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1914.
Map of Lancashire. Originally published by Ordnance Survey, Southampton, 1846-1873.
The Heritage List entries for Lowick
The list of protected buildings or sites is known as The Heritage List (officially the National Heritage List for England or NHLE) it is the official and up to date record of all nationally protected historic buildings or sites in England.
Lowick Hall, the manor house of the village, is situated in Lowick Bridge. The first lord of the manor was Ivo de Taillebois, a Norman baron with extensive holdings in the north west of England. He acquired the manor in 1087.
During the middle ages, the house was a Pele Tower – a fortified house built to provide protection to its inhabitants and their cattle from the incursions of the Scots.
By the Tudor era, there was probably a Z-plan house of two towers with a linking wing. By then the house belonged to the Ambrose family. The southern tower of that house survives, complete with an oak turnpike stair. The rest of the old house was demolished in 1746 and replaced with a Georgian classical block. Onto that the Victorians added a red sandstone porch.
The families who owned Lowick Hall changed, (de Lofwick-Towers-Ambrose-Latus-Blencow-Everard-Gaskell-Montagu-Calvert), but always by marriage or by descent in the female line.
The first time it was sold onto the open market was 1948, when it was bought by Arthur Ransome, the author of the ‘Swallows and Amazons’ series. He found the house in a very dilapidated state, did it up, but only stayed two years!
A full illustrated history of the house and estate can be found in: Adam & Marianne Naylor: ‘Neat But Not Sumptuous – A Chronicle of Lowick Hall’, published by the Handstand Press.